As mentioned before, the Bertrand Russell Society’s annual meeting this 20th June 2020 will be online and free to the public. Our revised format will be to post either the full papers or presentations, e.g., slides or pre-recorded talks. Our actual meeting time will be largely dedicated to panel discussions. The schedule of 2020 annual meeting talks is given below.
We are happy to report that we have received some papers and presentations already: links to these are posted at https://bertrandrussellsocietyorg.wordpress.com/papers/. We will post papers at this URL as we receive them.
Meeting online is of course a new format for us, but we hope that it will provide some refuge from the tumultuous times in which we are living.
Schedule of Talks, 20th June 2020
10:00 am – 11:00 am: Logical Analysis
- Dennis Darland, “On a Multiple Relation Theory of Belief”
- James Connolly, ”Revisiting Landini on Wittgenstein’s Critique of Russell’s Multiple Relation Theory of Judgment”
- Landon D. C. Elkind, “Generalized Molecular Formulas in Logical Atomism”
- Gregory Landini, “Gödel Incompleteness Doesn’t Hold in Principia Mathematica”
11:15 am – 12:15 pm: Philosophical Issues
- Abdul Latif Mondal, “Bertrand Russell on Sensations and Images”
- Giovanni Battista Ratti, “On Russell’s Ways Out”
- Ethan Tion and Hans Loewig, “Bertrand Russell’s Theory of Impulse”
- Laurie Thomas, “On the Notion of Cause”
12:15 pm – 1:30: Lunch Break1:30 pm – 2:15 pm: Russell and Others
- Adam Stromme, “Russell and Adam Smith”
- David Blitz, “Russell and Leibniz: 1900 – 1959”
- Alexander Klein: “Russell’s Representationalism About Consciousness: Reconsidering His Relationship
2:30 pm – 3:30 pm: Biographical
- Michael Stevenson, “Bertrand Russell at UCLA, 1939-1940”
- Peter Stone, “Chomsky and Russell Revisited”
- Tim Madigan, “Reports of His Death Were Sometimes Exaggerated: The Many Obituaries of Bertrand Russell”
- Richard DeJesus, Saad Islam, Amy Lezon, Fizza Chaudhry: “Online Timeline of BR’s Life and Work”
4:00 pm – 5:00 pm: BRS Awards, Virtual Red Hackle Hour